Sunday, August 3, 2008

Collagraph Workshop Part 1

I'm teaching a Collagraph workshop at the Stumptown Art Studio
on Saturday August 16th and 23rd
Here's pretty much what we'll be doing that first Sat.
CREATING A COLLAGRAPH PLATE
Here's the most important thing to remember:
Keep It Thin!
The other thing thing that is important to remember is
all of the values in your print will come from the textures
on the plate - the rougher the surface the darker value
and the smoother the surface the lighter the value.
Basically, I create my plates from trash.
I collect trash with interesting textures and
stash it in these bins. So I rummage
through them and come up with...

1. Cardboard - base for plate
2. Old sand paper - for some nice dark values
3. Letter "G" stencil - for shape
(prints will be REVERSE from plate-
for lettering to appear correctly on print
it must be backwards on plate)
4. A self-portrait on butcher paper - for fun
Next I adhere everything together with an acrylic gel medium
(you could just use white glue for this part).

I like using plastic wrap to really mash everything down together

without getting medium all over my hands

as shown in these three pictures:





Self Portrait Cut Out
Next I cut out the plate...
and seal the edges.
Next I use the gel medium establish some lighter values.

Then using some fun tools to poke my plate,
I create values with the stippling.
Notice the texture in the these photos:



After sealing everything with a very thinned down gel medium wash,
I create my lightest value by laying platic wrap over wet gel meduim
and letting it dry totally before removing wrap.


This is basically how I arrive at a collagraph plate.

COMING SOON

Collagraph Workshop Part 2

Printing the Plate

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting this up. I've just started Collagraphy. Looking forward to the next round!
Maxine