Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Collagraph Workshop Part 2

The second Saturday of my workshop
at Stumptown Art Studio http://www.stumptownartstudio.org/
will cover printing the collagraph plate.
Here we have my finished plate.

To get ready for printing;
I first soak my paper to soften it up,
make a template for positioning plate and paper,and get the press set up with blankets
Next, I get my ink out
(we'll have black, blue and brown available)...


and start spreading it on to the plate -
a very small amount is needed.

Here the plate is covered with ink.

The rubber spatula makes it easier to spread ink

in to all the cracks and crevices of the plate.

Now, I begin to wipe the plate.

I start by scraping the top layer of ink from the plate

with a piece of mat board. This removes most of the excess ink.

Next, using a balled up piece of tarlatan,
I wipe the plate. The surface ink gets picked up in the weave of the tartlatan
and you end up with a wiped plate ready for the press.
Be sure to wipe edges of plate as lumps of ink can accumulate
and cause blotches in the print.

Using my template, I place the plate on to the press bed.

Now, using a bent playing card to keep my inky fingers from

leaving finger maks all over my paper,

I remove the soaked paper and let it drip...

...and then I blot the paper dry.




Once again using my template, I place my paper over the plate.
I roll down the press blankets and run everything through
the press rollers, mashing everything together.

After passing through the press,

you can see the embossing of the plate

on the back side of the paper.

Peal the the paper back from the plate

and, voila!

A Collagraph Print

These inks take a good deal of time to dry

so I like to give the print a week or so before

handling or framing. After that I've

an archival print that should last well beyond

my great grandchildren's lifetime.



3 comments:

jo horswill said...

I just stumbled across your blog...and found that you have posted one of the best "Collagraph" printmaking posts I have ever seen.
This self portrait is great. Thanks Jo

Anonymous said...

i agree with Jo.

I am an educator and this has been very helpful in showing students the process. your side view of the plate depths are the best.

Thanks!
Erin

northwoods trekker said...

Thanks for the tutorial
I am a printmaker also and it appears we share similar methods of making a collagraph. I am giving an adult workshop this weekend in the collagraph process so will mention your blog as a another good resource as you have visual step by step which is most helpful.